[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

cookie overloading (denial of service)

Having seen a pages out there issuing 40 or more cookies, I began
wondering how easy it would be to overload a browser with cookies
(and force it to delete other cookies).

Some experimentation indicates that it's possible to do that.

But I'd sure appreciate it if someone else on this list could
independently verify this.

Background:  a host with a 3rd-level domain name can set 40 cookies:

	www.domain.com			20 cookies with different names
	.domain.com			20 cookies with different names
					--
					40 cookies total

...and a host with a 4th-level domain name can set 80:

	www.subdomain.domain.com	20
	.subdomain.domain.com		20
	subdomain.domain.com		20
	.domain.com			20

Similarly, a host with a 5th-level domain name can set 120 cookies.

Suppose you browse a page from my (contrived) server, called
www.services.east.company.com which contains the following:

	an image from www.graphics.east.company.com
	a 2nd image from www.showme.foographics.com
	and a page counter (also an image...) from www.fooaudit.com

(Which could all be pseudo domains, all on the same server).  The combined
number of cookies which could be set would be as follows:

	www.services.east.company.com		20
	.services.east.company.com		20
	services.east.company.com		20
	.east.company.com			20
	east.company.com			20
	.company.com				20

	www.graphics.east.company.com		20
	.graphics.east.company.com		20
	graphics.east.company.com		20

	www.showme.foographics.com		20
	.showme.foographics.com			20
	showme.foographics.com			20
	.foographics.com			20

	www.fooaudit.com			20
	.fooaudit.com				20
						---
						300 cookies

With your browser limited to holding 300 cookies, I've pretty much
forced your browser to discard most or all of the previous cookies
in favor of mine.